We mysteriously shopped GlassesUSA to provide a comprehensive overview of the ordering process, costs, customer service and more.
VonLauren Shermann, EM
- Thousands of frames from $39
- Free shipping and returns
- 24/7 customer service
- GlassesUSA sells prescription glasses, contact lenses, readers and sunglasses online, with a wide selection of affordable frames as well as more expensive design options.
- Shipping and returns are free, and discounts are available for first responders, nurses, teachers, adults 65+, veterans, and active-duty military members.
- We found it easy to order from GlassesUSA and appreciated the 24/7 customer service.
GlassesUSA is a popular retailer ofglasses onlineand contacts. Offers thousands of frames for reading glasses, prescription glasses and sunglasses. The retailer also sells contact lenses from 19 brands, including its own brand called Vista, which you can try for $1. Our review team named GlassesUSA our "Editor's Choice" in our ranking of the best online eyewear retailers. . We have also awarded the brand "Best Selection" in ourThe best online retailers for contact lenses. This review details the site's frame selection process, how to upload your prescription, the cost of glasses, whether you can use eye insurance, and more.
Why you can trust the expert assessment of our assessment team
Ourassessment teamrecommends products and services that we believe will enrich the lives of our readers. We've conducted hours of independent, in-depth research to assist you in your eyewear search online. To make our selection, we proceed as follows:
- Engaged in independent research
- Mystery shopping with eight retailers and over 16 online eyewear models to assess customer features such as trial options, online eye tests and overall customer service
- Read real reviews from verified customers on trusted third-party sites such asBetter Business Bureau (BBB)epilot trust
Pros and cons of GlassesUSA
AdvantagesLarge selection of framesOffers various discountsVirtual live test functionaccept insuranceFree shipping and returns
In contrastShort return window (14 days) for refundsCustomer complaints about delivery delays
GlassesUSA ordering process
Whether you're ordering prescription glasses, reading glasses, or contact lenses, the GlassesUSA process is easy.
For prescription glasses you need:
- Get a prescription.All prescription lens orders require a current, valid prescription. Annual eye exams are important for older people who are inhigher risk of medical eye problemssuch as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration and diabetic eye diseases.1Your prescription should include your pupillary distance (PD), which is the distance between the centers of your pupils (the black circles in the center of your eyes). If your prescription doesn't have this information, you can use GlassesUSApractical guide to measuring PD.
- select frame.When choosing your frame, you need to consider the style, material, color and price, as well as your face size and the type of lenses you need. Not all frames are available in all sizes or lens types. Glasses with a very small frame are not suitable for progressive lenses, for example. With GlassesUSA you can shop, sort and filter by brand, color, material, frame shape, frame type (full or rimless), lens type and size.
If you don't know where to start, you can use Find Your Frame.Quizto limit your options. GlassesUSA has a live virtual mirror test feature that records a real-time video of your face as you move your head to see how the glasses look to you from different angles.
We tried the live mirror on the GlassesUSA website to see what our glasses would look like from all angles.
You can also upload a photo of yourself and view pictures of your face in different frames.
We also took advantage of the virtual trial option, which involves uploading a photo to see how multiple pairs of glasses look.
- Select the glasses type.Choose between single vision glasses (for reading or distance vision) and multifocal glasses (bifocal, trifocal orprogressive ⓘIn contrast to bifocal and trifocal glasses, varifocal glasses have no visible dividing line between the different magnification levels. Source:American Academy of Ophthalmology). Single vision lenses do not increase the price. Bifocal lens selection adds $99 and progressive lens selection adds $169.Prism glasses ⓘOphthalmologists sometimes prescribe prism lenses to correct double vision caused by misaligned eyes. Source:AAO, which costs an additional $30. Not all frames can accommodate prism lenses.
After you select your frame, GlassesUSA will ask you what you would like to use your glasses for, e.g. B. for reading or for distance.
- Prepare your prescription.There are several ways to upload your recipe. One of them is the free use of GlassesUSARecipe scanner appwhich is approved byFood and drug management.2It uses your phone's camera to scan the lens of your current glasses. This should not be used for multifocal prescriptions or high performance single strength prescriptions. Alternatively, you can add your prescription details manually, upload a photo of your prescription, or send it to GlassesUSA at a later date. If you choose to ship later, you will receive an email with instructions after placing your order.
GlassesUSA will ask you how you would like to provide your prescription.
If you want to add your prescription manually, you need to know the exact number of different eye dimensions, including pupillary distance.
- Choose a lens pack.There are four lens packages to choose from:
- The value (1.5 index base lenses) is included for free
- Standard (anti-scratch, UV protection, and anti-reflective coatings) for $39
- Polycarbonate (thinner, high-impact lenses with coatings) for $69
- Premium (super fine lens with all coatings) for $129
The Value Lens Pack comes free with your frames, but you can also choose standard, polycarbonate, or premium lenses.
- Choose a personalization option.GlassesUSA frames include free clear lenses, while all other lens types incur an additional cost depending on the frame and lens type.
Once you've selected your lens pack, you can further customize your lenses by choosing blue light filters, light adaptive lenses or sunglasses at an additional cost.
- Choose from available lens coatings.GlasseUSA offers a variety of lens coatings such as: B. A super hydrophobic coating that prevents smearing of liquids and repels grease and fingerprints to keep your $14 glasses cleaner.
After you've fitted your lenses, GlassesUSA will ask you if you're willing to pay for a super hydrophobic coating to help keep your lenses clean.
- Decide if you want extended coverage.All GlassesUSA eyewear comes with a one-year limited warranty against manufacturing defects, but you can add a year or two of extended coverage against damage, breakage, loss, or a change in your prescription. One year of extended coverage costs $12 and two years costs $24.
You can choose one or two years of extended coverage for your GlassesUSA glasses.
- Choose a delivery option.Standard shipping is free and takes 7-10 days. Expedited shipping costs $9.95 and takes five to seven days. Expedited shipping costs $12.95 and takes three to five days.
Standard shipping is free, but you can also opt for expedited or expedited shipping.
if you askreading glasses, no prescription is required, although you can use one if you have one. Without a prescription, all you need to know is the magnifying power of your lens. You can get this by visiting an eye doctor or by using GlassesUSAdiopter chart. This is a printable chart that you hold 14 inches from your face and read from top to bottom. The first line, which you can read well, corresponds to the magnifying power you need for reading glasses.
When you order contact lenses, your prescription will tell you which brand and type of lens to choose. GlassesUSA offers 19 brands of contact lenses including its own brand,See more, a daily lens that costs $32 for a 30-day supply and includes free shipping. You can try them out with a one-time offer of $1 for 10 pairs.
If you would like personal assistance with the ordering process, you can order by phone or through GlassesUSA's live chat feature.
GlassesUSA costs and payment options
GlassesUSA often runs promotions and sales. At the time of writing this article offers 30% discount on all orders. He has one tooFriend Referral ProgramThis gives everyone you refer an additional 10% discount, plus you get a $10 Amazon gift card. AllFirst responders, nurses, teachers, adults 65+, veterans and active-duty military personnelwho will verify your identityID.meReceive a $10 Coupon Coupon, while valid for use in conjunction with other active promotions, is only valid on orders of $150 or more.
GlassesUSA prices vary, with frames starting at $39 including entry-level lenses and going up to $1,230 for luxury brands. Add-ons like special lens types and coatings add to the price. Starting with Amelia E. Laura's $64 frame, we found that the total price without add-ons was $44.80 (with the current 30% discount). The same frame with the addition of bifocal, premium, blue light and super hydrophobic lenses costs $261.80 after applying the current 30% discount.
GlassesUSA acceptedvision insurancefrom 13 popular providers including UnitedHealthcare, Anthem and Humana. Accepts Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA) cards, all major credit cards, PayPal, Amazon Pay and Apple Pay. You can also pay for your glasses interest-free in four installments over six weeksKlarna.
If you need help with the cost of glasses or eye exams, seeperformance checkto see if you can get financial assistance where you live.
GlassesUSA Warranty and Returns
GlassesUSA has a 14-day free return policy for a full refund, exchange, or store credit if for any reason you are not happy with your purchase. All frames come with a one-year warranty and all lenses come with a 90-day warranty. Extended coverage plans against damage, loss or prescription change are available for an additional fee of $14 for one year or $25 for two years.
GlassesUSA customer service
24/7 help is available via live chat on the GlassesUSA website. Telephone support is available daily between 7:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. ET by calling (844-244-1186). There is also an email support option. If you have any questions about your order, you can send an email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about a return, you can send an email email@example.com. When we contacted customer service via live chat, within a minute we were connected to a helpful representative who answered all of our questions.
Table 1 Comparison between GlassesUSA and Eyebuydirect, March 2023
|Cost||39 US$– 1.230 US$||6 US-Dollar bis 303 US-Dollar|
|Free Shipping||Sim||Yes, for orders over $119|
|return policy||14 dia||14 dia|
|Get vision insurance||✅||❌|
|The frame price includes the standard lens||✅||✅|
|The lens type||Single vision lenses, readers, bifocals, varifocals, sunglasses, contact lenses||Single vision glasses, reading glasses, bifocals, varifocals, sunglasses|
At the time of writing, GlassesUSA1.31 out of 5 starsthe BBB from 299 customer reviews. On Trustpilot I had4.5 out of 5 starsfrom over 52,000 comments. The vast majority of customers are satisfied with their purchases and their shopping experience. Most complaints relate to customer service, problems processing returns, and delivery delays.
BrilleUSAis a major online retailer of prescription eyewear, reading glasses, and contact lenses. Offers a wide range of frames with free shipping and returns. Frame prices start at $39 including entry-level lenses and go up to $1,230 for designer frames from luxury brands. It carries popular brands like Ray-Ban, Oakley, Burberry and Persol. The live virtual trial feature makes it easy for you to see how the frames will look on your face before ordering. GlassesUSA accepts vision insurance from more than 13 carriers and offers frequent promotions and discounts for first responders, nurses, teachers, adults 65+, veterans, and active-duty military personnel. Our review team selected GlassesUSA as their "Editor's Choice" in our ranking of the best online eyewear companies because of the company's choice of frames, discounts and promotions, the live testing feature, and the fact that they accept insurance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have any questions about this review? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Joshua Erlich, MD. Vision and eye care in the elderly. National Healthy Aging Survey. 30 August 2018. Available online at https://www.healthyagingpoll.org/reports-more/report/vision-and-eye-care-older-adults
- Food and drug management. Device software functions, including mobile medical applications. September 29, 2022. Available on the web at https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/digital-health-center-excellence/device-software-functions-inclusive-mobile-medical-applications